Cooking bacon in the oven on a sheet tray is so hands-off, so splatter-free, and so easy, it just might convince you to eat a lot more bacon in the future.
- 8 slices bacon1 4-ounce piece rustic country-style bread
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- Pinch of sugar
- ¼ bunch or a very small handful of chives
- 2 romaine hearts
- 1 pound ripe juicy tomatoes, cut into bite-size wedges or slices
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Arrange bacon slices side by side on a small rimmed baking sheet, overlapping slightly if necessary.
- Bake bacon, removing sheet from oven and turning slices with tongs halfway through, until slices are deep reddish brown with crispy edges, 25–35 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 425°.
- While bacon is cooking, cut crusts off bread; discard. Tear bread into 1″ pieces. Don’t worry if the pieces end up in different shapes and sizes. Irregular is good! You should have about 2 lightly packed cups.
- Transfer bacon to a paper towel–lined plate and blot with more paper towels to absorb excess fat. The bacon will crisp as it cools. Reserve baking sheet with bacon fat.
- Scatter bread on reserved baking sheet and toss with tongs until bread is evenly coated in fat.
- Bake bread, tossing once halfway through, until pieces are golden all over and crisp, 10–15 minutes. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, whisk ⅓ cup mayonnaise and 2 Tbsp. lemon juice in a medium bowl. Season with salt and lots of pepper, then slowly stream in ⅓ cup oil, whisking until dressing is thick and emulsified. Whisk in a pinch of sugar; set aside.
- Thinly slice enough chives to measure 2 Tbsp. and whisk into bowl with dressing.
- Slice remaining chives into 1″ pieces; set aside.
- Halve romaine hearts lengthwise, trim off root ends, then cut each half in half again crosswise. Arrange lettuce pieces on a large platter or divide among individual plates. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle about a third of the dressing over top.
- Arrange tomatoes, avocado, and croutons over and around lettuce pieces.
- Break up cooled bacon with your hands into rough 1″ pieces and scatter over salad. Drizzle with remaining dressing.
- Sprinkle with reserved chives and serve.
Recipe by Claire Saffitz
Source Bon Appetit